GREENSBORO, N.C. – – With just two weeks remaining until the first round of the 2005 Chrysler Classic of Greensboro, details of tournament-related events are coming into focus. Below are some pre-tournament notes.
· Latest Player Commitments: Adam Scott, the world’s seventh ranked player; along with Hank Kuehne, Charles Howell III and Jay Haas; all have committed to play in the Chrysler Classic. This year’s tournament marks the 22nd time that Haas has played in Greensboro. Scott is the second player in the field to be ranked in the world’s top-10. Sergio Garcia is ranked No. 6 in the world, according to this week’s official world golf rankings.
· Calling all Tar Heels: University of North Carolina men’s basketball Coach Roy Williams headlines a totally Tar Heel pairing in the UPS Pro-Am on Wednesday, Sept. 28. The coach of the 2005 NCAA Men’s Basketball championship team will be paired with University of North Carolina alumnus Davis Love III, whose design company renewed the layout at Forest Oaks Country Club. The UPS Pro-Am includes shotgun starts at 7:15 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. This Tar Heel Twosome will be in the 1:30 p.m. portion of the UPS Pro-Am.
· John Daly in Concert: All golf fans know that John Daly is one of the longest hitters in the game, but many may not know that Daly is also long on musical talent. Edwin McCain and Johnny Lee will join Daly onstage for A Night with John Daly and Friends. The concert is set for 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 28 at Arizona Pete’s, located at 2900-A Patterson Street, behind the Comedy Zone, near the intersection of Holden Road and Patterson Street in Greensboro. This event is open to the public, however all patrons must be at least 21 years of age. Admission is $30 and includes two single-day tickets to the Chrysler Classic. For more information, call (336) 379-1570.
· Thirsty Thursday at Forest Oaks: Golf fans will have a reason to start the weekend early as Thirsty Thursday debuts at the Chrysler Classic of Greensboro. Draft beer will be half price all day, and following play, fans can enjoy a concert by Walrus and Edwin Olson. (more)
· The 19th Hole: Located near the Forest Oaks Clubhouse and the No. 9 green, The 19th Hole is a hospitality area for all patrons of the Chrysler Classic of Greensboro. The 19th Hole includes an interactive exhibit from Time Warner Cable that allows fans to use Road Runner High-Speed Internet Access and Digital Phone Service. Since cell phones are not allowed inside a PGA TOUR event, Road Runner’s Digital Phone Service promises to be a popular amenity. The 19th Hole will have a “sports bar” atmosphere with food, beverages, comfortable seating and television monitors.
The 2005 Chrysler Classic of Greensboro is set for Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2005 at Forest Oaks Country Club in Greensboro, N.C. This year’s tournament marks the 10th anniversary of Chrysler’s title sponsorship and thanks VF Corporation and Harris Teeter for increasing their involvement to the Premier Partner level. Tickets are available at the tournament office at (336) 379-1570. Additional tournament information is available at www.chryslerclassic.org.