GREENSBORO, N.C. – Spring has arrived in the Piedmont Triad, and a short five months from now, the Wyndham Championship will be approaching. With the Wyndham comes an opportunity for sports fans to experience the inner workings of a major-league sports event by volunteering for the Piedmont Triad’s PGA TOUR event. Volunteer registration for the 2016 Wyndham Championship is open, the tournament announced today. The 77th annual Wyndham Championship is set for Aug. 15-21, 2016.
The areas of tournament operations in which volunteers can participate are listed below; volunteers can choose the area that best suits their interests during registration until each area is full. The greatest needs are individuals that wish to work as gallery marshals or Shotlink laser operators:
- Gallery Marshals (Individuals): These volunteers are stationed throughout the Sedgefield Country Club course to enforce crowd control and proper golf etiquette among spectators. Individuals are needed in addition to the groups that cover certain holes.
- Shotlink Laser Operators (Individuals): The Shotlink system is a platform for collecting and disseminating scoring and statistical data on every shot by every player in real time. Laser operators are stationed throughout the course with a trigger-controlled laser that measures the distance of each shot or putt. This information is used in television broadcasts, on PGA TOUR.com and the PGA TOUR App and on scoring monitors placed throughout the golf course. Individuals are needed in addition to the groups that cover certain holes.
- Operations: These volunteers work with the general setup and maintenance of the golf course; they work with various tournament committee members and vendors in the areas of golf carts, hospitality structures, signs and fencing among various other tasks. This area could also include setting up televisions, spreading mulch and much, much more.
- Practice Range: These people are asked to staff the practice range throughout the week cleaning and sorting golf balls by brand and updating PGA TOUR player name plates when golfers arrive and depart the range.
- Special Needs: These volunteers assist physically-challenged spectators and those in need of extra assistance.
- Sponsor Services: This vital group services the hospitality areas throughout the golf course including hospitality sky boxes, luxury suites, “4-Topps” terraces and viewing platforms.
- Tee Box Drink Distribution: This job includes restocking drinks on the tee boxes several times a day as well as working with inventory control and pre-cooling drinks before they are loaded into the coolers.
- Transportation Greeters: These volunteers work at the bus loading and unloading area near the main entrance welcoming arriving spectators and assisting departing fans to be sure they board the correct bus.
- Volunteer Clothing: This team sorts and delivers clothing to volunteers prior to their volunteer shifts.
- Volunteer Food: These vital volunteers sort, package and deliver snacks, drinks and lunches to volunteers throughout the course.
For additional information on all available volunteer positions, please visit wyndhamchampionship.com/volunteers/committees. To join the Wyndham Championship volunteer team, registration is required; please visit wyndhamchampionship.com/volunteers/registration. Don’t delay – some teams are generally filled quickly.
About the Wyndham Championship:
Contested annually on the Donald Ross-designed course at Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro, N.C., the Wyndham Championship was founded in 1938 and is the sixth-oldest event on the PGA TOUR excluding the Majors. Tickets will be available at wyndhamchampionship.com or through the tournament office. The tournament thanks title sponsor Wyndham Worldwide, presenting sponsor BB&T and Premier Partners, Cadillac, Harris Teeter, Lincoln Financial, McConnell Golf, Sunbrella®, Technology Concepts & Design, Inc. and VF Corporation for their continued support. Additional tournament information, including ticket packages and sponsorship information, is available at wyndhamchampionship.com or through the tournament office at (336) 379-1570. For more information about Wyndham Worldwide, please visit www.wyndhamworldwide.com. Stay connected with the Wyndham Championship through its social media channels, including the Wyndham Championship Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram, Foursquare, Flickr and YouTube.
# # #