GREENSBORO, N.C. – – With the announcements of captain’s picks for each Presidents Cup team earlier this month, seven past Wyndham Championship winners, led by three-time champion and United States captain Davis Love III, will participate in the 2022 Presidents Cup set for this week at Quail Hollow Country Club in Charlotte, N.C. The Presidents Cup begins Thursday with five foursomes matches.
- Last year’s Wyndham Championship winner, Kevin Kisner, is playing as one of Love’s captain’s picks. Kisner was undefeated in his Presidents Cup debut in 2017 and is known as a match play specialist. Earlier this season, he advanced to the Championship Match at the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play for the third time in four years and improved his all-time match play record at Austin Country Club to 22-7-1.
- Webb Simpson is an assistant captain for the United States team. The 2011 Wyndham Championship winner is a Quail Hollow member who has three Presidents Cup appearances and three Ryder Cup appearances to his credit.
- The full United States team includes automatic qualifiers Patrick Cantlay, Xander Schauffele, Sam Burns, Scottie Scheffler, Justin Thomas and Tony Finau along with captain’s picks Kisner, Jordan Spieth, Collin Morikawa, Max Homa, Billy Horschel and Wake Forest University alumnus Cameron Young.
- Tom Kim earned his way onto the International Team with his victory in last month’s Wyndham Championship. After opening the tournament with a quadruple-bogey eight on the first hole, Kim battled back and captured his first PGA TOUR event beating the field by five strokes. With the win, he became the youngest winner in tournament history, the 20th first-time PGA TOUR winner in tournament history, although he has six international wins to his credit, and the 20th international winner in tournament history.
- “It’s crazy. I can’t believe I’ll be able to play the Presidents Cup,” Kim told The Golfing Hub. “It’s something I’ve watched all the time so it’s going to be exciting, and hopefully, I can be a good contribution. I’m a lot younger than all the guys on the team so hopefully I can bring that young energy and just be a kid out there and have all the fun we have. As long as we come together as a team, we’re going to have a chance.”
- International Team Captain Trevor Immelman selected 2016 Wyndham Championship winner Si Woo Kim as one of his captain’s picks. The South Korean golfer recorded 11 top-25s in 29 starts this season, including finishing tied for eighth at the Sanderson Farms Championship.
- Also on the International Team are 2005 Wyndham Championship winner K.J. Choi and 2014 champion Camillo Villegas – both serving as assistant captains.
- The full International Team includes automatic qualifiers Adam Scott, Mito Pereira, Tom Kim, Corey Conners, Hideki Matsuyama and Sungjae Im along with captain’s picks Cameron Davis, Si Woo Kim, Christiaan Bezuidenhout, K.H. Lee, Sebastian Munoz and Taylor Pendrith.
About the Wyndham Championship:
Contested annually on the Donald Ross-designed course at Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro, N.C., the Wyndham Championship was founded in 1938 and is the sixth-oldest event on the PGA TOUR excluding the Majors. The tournament thanks title sponsor Wyndham Rewards and presenting sponsor Truist for their continued support. Additional tournament information is available at www.wyndhamchampionship.com and the tournament’s social media channels, including the Wyndham Championship Facebook page, Twitter and Instagram.
About Wyndham Rewards:
Named the number one hotel rewards program by readers of USA TODAY, Wyndham Rewards® is the world’s most generous rewards program with more than 50,000 hotels, vacation club resorts and vacation rentals worldwide. Designed for the everyday traveler, members earn a guaranteed 1,000 points with every qualified stay and may redeem points for a wide range of rewards, including free nights at any of approximately 9,000 hotels or tens of thousands of vacation club resorts and vacation rentals globally through affiliation with Wyndham Destinations and others. Wyndham Rewards has over 95 million enrolled members around the globe. Join for free today at www.wyndhamrewards.com. You’ve earned this.®
About Wyndham Hotels & Resorts:
Wyndham Hotels & Resorts (NYSE: WH) is the world’s largest hotel franchising company by the number of properties, with approximately 9,000 hotels across over 95 countries on six continents. Through its network of approximately 819,000 rooms appealing to the everyday traveler, Wyndham commands a leading presence in the economy and midscale segments of the lodging industry. The Company operates a portfolio of 22 hotel brands, including Super 8®, Days Inn®, Ramada®, Microtel®, La Quinta®, Baymont®, Wingate®, AmericInn®, Hawthorn Suites®, Trademark Collection® and Wyndham®. The Company’s award-winning Wyndham Rewards® loyalty program offers over 95 million enrolled members the opportunity to redeem points at thousands of hotels, vacation club resorts and vacation rentals globally. For more information, visit www.wyndhamhotels.com.
About Wyndham Destinations:
Wyndham Destinations is the world’s largest vacation ownership business with more than 245 vacation club resorts around the world that offer a contemporary take on the timeshare model. The brand portfolio — featuring Club Wyndham®, WorldMark® by Wyndham, Margaritaville Vacation Club® by Wyndham, and Shell Vacations Club — offers travelers the chance to own their vacation and explore places they’ve never visited before, year after year. More than 850,000 owners enjoy stays in a home away from home, featuring spacious suites with separate bedrooms, fully equipped kitchens, living and dining areas, as well as resort-style amenities and services. Wyndham Destinations is part of Travel + Leisure Co. (NYSE: TNL). Learn more at WyndhamDestinations.com.
# # #